Wednesday was a very exciting day for us. In addition to being April Fools Day, it was also School Lock Down- Police Chase day.
For some of you, this is old news, but in case you haven't heard, here is what happened:
I was talking with my friend Chrissy, planning a fun April Fools Day dinner for our kids, when I looked out my Kitchen window and saw four police cars parked in the street across the park and several more cars driving around the neighborhood. Several officers were running into someones back yard. Then I got a call from another friend telling me to close my garage door, lock my doors and stay inside, and don't let anyone in, because the police were looking for a robber. Then I heard that the Elementary School was under lock down "no one in- no one out". I called Kelly, and he decided to work from home for the rest of the afternoon. (It is nice to know he can get here so fast.)
From KSL News:
High-speed chase locks down school, nets several arrests
April 1st, 2009 @ 4:40pm
CLEARFIELD -- What started as a routine forgery investigation ended up with the discovery of drugs and stolen credit cards, a high-speed chase, a school lockdown and five arrests.
Clearfield Assistant Police Chief Greg Krusi says detectives moved in on a motel room at the Day's Inn this morning as part of an investigation into some forged checks. What officers found was one suspect inside, along with numerous credit cards and some drugs.
Krusi says, at some point, two other suspects showed up. They didn't like the idea of being arrested and fled back to their car. "They evaded the officers, attempted to strike one of the officers who was attempting to stop them," Krusi said.
That led a chase through Clearfield and into Layton. The suspects bailed out of their car near 1450 West and 1150 South. Police arrested the car's driver, but the passenger got away.
Officers set up a containment area for about an hour as they searched through fields and yards. Nearby Heritage Elementary School was placed on an external lockdown, meaning no one was allowed to enter or leave the school.
The second suspect was located and taken into custody around 3 p.m., and the school was reopened.
"We're still trying to iron out everything, trying to determine who's involved and with what and where. So, this is small investigation will turn into a big one by the time we're done," Krusi said.
Back in Clearfield, two more suspects showed up at the motel room. They too were arrested. "It wasn't an in-depth investigation. We were just following up on a simple forgery, and it's kind of evolved," Krusi said.
------
Story compiled with contributions from Marc Giauque and Alex Cabrero.
Everyone was safe, but a day like this leaves you with a lot of "what ifs". I am also reminded that I need to be a little more cautious. I was outside in my back yard, like an idiot, with my baby, while the police were chasing a drugged out forger through my neighborhood. My garage was wide open, as it usually is. My daughter was playing outside in the front and going back and forth to her friends house. What if, what if, what if? These thoughts haunt me. Kayla hasn't wanted to play at anyone elses house since she got "locked down" at her friends house. I still feel very safe in my neighborhood. It was random chance that the chase ended here. And I am very grateful that the "what ifs" didn't happen and every one was safe and everything turned out OK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment