What Makes a Movie a Classic and what Movies do you Consider to be Classics?
I started thinking about this when I came across Good Will Hunting as I was channel surfing. That movie always sucks me in. I don't know what it is about it. It is just a good movie. I have seen it a lot, but when I come across it, I stay. I keep watching. I'll stay up way to late to watch it again. It started me thinking about what makes a classic movie. The same thing happens when I see the end of A Few Good Men- you know the part where "you can't handle the truth!!!!!". No matter how many times I see it, it is still good. So maybe that is the key- rewatchability. I also think timelessness has something to do with it-how well does the movie hold up over time.
In high school, my friends Bridget, Brandy and I watched Mystic Pizza and Pretty Woman almost every weekend. I came across Mystic Pizza again recently and it really didn't hold up, maybe because it is corney or maybe I'm just all grown up and can't relate to the characters anymore. That could be another part of the equation: relatability.
So according to me: rewatchability+timelessness+relatability= classic movie
Here are a few more movies that when I come across them as I channel surf, I stay to watch:(this is not at all a complete list, but I have to get to bed)






1 comment:
This is a cute post. I have never seen North and South. I will have to check it out. There aren't many movies that I can watch more than once, but I have seen many Christmas movies more than once. Maybe that's because I watch them usually just one time a year. A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life are my faves. I could watch them over and over again over the holidays.
Every few months Lee and I break out the Count of Monte Cristo. That never gets old for us. Which is why I am reading the book. (It's a long one.)
Post a Comment