Thursday, August 14, 2008

What summer feels like (or our day at Lagoon)

We had one of those opportunities, you know the "I have this friend who has these passes- you might be able to use them if no one else does. I'll call you" opportunities to go to Lagoon. I didn't say a word about it to the kids because I didn't want them to be disappointed. While we were at Kayla's gymnastics, my friend called and told me that if we wanted to use the passes we had to meet up with the other people who were going to split the passes with us but we had to meet them in 20 minutes. And we had to go to Lagoon together so we could buy all the passes in the same transaction (yes, complicated). We didn't have time to stop at home so we were very unprepared for a day at Lagoon. No stroller, no water, no snacks and the wrong shoes. My plan was to buy the passes, then go back home, get ready and head back after lunch but after we got there I decided we could do a few rides, since we were there, before heading back home. It was actually nice not to be burdened with a lot of stuff. I stuck some money in my pocket, snapped the diapers and changing pad to the car seat and took off. There were plenty of drinking fountains so we managed quite well...there may be something to packing light after all.



Bumper Cars
The plan worked surprisingly well. The kids went on the kiddie rides for about an hour and a half. Aaron and I watched from the shaded benches, we got some cotton candy and churos to tide us over, then went home to get some lunch and give the baby a nap. And boy did he nap. I thought we would head back around 3:30 or 4:00. It was almost 5:00 when I finally woke Aaron up. The other kids were bored silly just waiting around for the baby. Kelly called before we left and said there was no way he would be able to meet us- crazy stuff at work. We finally headed back- well prepared this time- and had a great time. Jason and Kayla were very good about staying together. I only had to bribe them a few times to get them on rides they didn't want to go on.

"I'm thinkin' Arbys"

The Log Ride

We stayed until the park closed. Kelly was able to make it for the last hour. The kids were so excited to take him on the rides. Amusement parks at night just have a "feel" to them. It is hard to describe. The air cooled off to a perfect temperature. The moon was almost full. There were fireworks from the county fair across the freeway. The night was just perfect


Sky Ride ( I walked under the ride so I could keep an eye on the kids)

So this is how summer feels...
crazy busy hectic
wrong shoes
works out ok
long hot afternoons
boredom
long naps
at the wrong time
single-parent moment
3 against 1
fun fun fun
cool night air
staying till closing
full moon
happy faces
"dad!"
pure magic

1 comment:

Lara said...

I love this post and totally agree. What a great day at Lagoon. The summer just went by way too fast for us. I wish we could just have a few more weeks to cram in a little more fun. For us summer feels very much like your list. It really sums it up well. Love it.