Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back Home

Notes Jason and Kayla gave me before I left



The only way to take grief out of death is to take love out of life








I am back from my super quick trip to Arizona. It was so hot I don't know how people live down there in the the summer. I learned a lot about my grandpa and got to spend time with my family. Most of my forty cousins were there and it was good to catch up with them. Aaron was a good baby (most of the time). He loved to watch tv from the hotel bed. He did great on the flights- still wouldn't let anyone hold him and was nervous whenever someone tried to pinch his cheeks- but he didn't scream on the plane which was my big worry.

My Amazing Grandma Dorothy

Friday night there was a viewing for family only. The family filled up the chapel at the mortuary. Grandma Dorothy is one of those people "who get things done". She could organize a conference for 8000 people and not think twice about it. The whole weekend was beautifully planned. All the kids (our parents were referred to as kids!) and grand kids as well as some great aunts and uncles had the opportunity to say goodbye to grandpa Lisonbee We were able to share stories and things we remembered about him. It was a very tender and enjoyable (and funny) night. The funeral was the next morning at 9:30. Yes 9:30 so we had to get to the church by 8:30 the goal was to beat the heat but in Mesa I don't think you can get up early enough to do that. After the funeral, the Relief Society served a great lunch for that family. (Yes, they did have the potatoes.) We went back to the hotel for a quick rest before heading to one of my Aunts houses for a BBQ and swim party. There was another service on Sunday at the retirement village where my grandparents live but I had to miss it and catch the flight home.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
I miss you! Thanks for inviting me to your blog! You're the best!
See you in five minutes
Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Maren said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. I'm glad everything was well at home while you were gone. Your kids are so cute!

Thanks for inviting me to your blog!

Shill and Company said...

Those notes were so sweet. You have such great kids, I just love all 3 of them.

I'm glad to hear that your trip went well. What a nice tribute to your Grandpa's life that so many could be in attendance. He sounds like he was an amazing man!

Lara said...

I am so glad to hear that you and Aaron survived the trip, that you didn't melt, and that the funeral turned out as wonderful as it did. What sweet notes too. Love them.