We went to Park City for our "staycation" this year. One whole night in a hotel. I majorly overhyped this outing calling it our vacation for the year and talking up all the fun we were going to pack into two days. Oh, silly me! We ended up going a week later than we planned because at the last minute Kelly was not able to take the time off from work. We did manage to squeeze the trip in on the Friday and Saturday before school started. On Friday, Kelly planned to go into work early- so he could get off early-and we would head up. I needed to run a few errands Friday morning and then pack up. I loaded the kids into the van and we headed to the grocery store to get supplies. Now keep in mind, getting the kids into the car is always a process. (Just pulling out of the driveway is sometimes a major achievement.) We went through the drive-thru at the bank, returned a movie to the drop box and then I parked at the grocery store. As soon as I turn off the car, Kayla said "don't be mad, but I forgot my shoes". UURRGGG!!!!! I remained very calm and checked under the seats of the van, looking for shoes that may have been forgotten from another trip. No luck...I thought about carrying her in and putting her in one of the car carts where no one could see her feet, but with the baby and the car seat, I decided that wouldn't work. So we turned around and came home. By the time we got home, the baby was fussy and sleepy so that was the end of that.
We did pack and finally made it to the store later that afternoon. Kelly kept calling to say he would be later and later. The kids were excited to get going and were very bored sitting around home when they wanted to be somewhere else. Bored kids tend to start picking on each other and bugging each other and invading each other's body space. So sometime after 3:00 we decided to leave and pick up Kelly from work on our way. This plan did not work either. When I got into Salt Lake, Kelly called and said there was no way he could leave yet- some computer malfunction and dead air- So I just kept driving up the mountain.
We finally get to Park City
My brother, Joel, used to work for Marriott ( he now goes to graduate school full time) and he hooked us up with a nice one bedroom suite for the night. we had to go through a time share presentation to get a supergreat rate on the room but it was worth it. the kids were so excited to have their own t.v.s with their own remotes. they sat in different rooms and watched the exact same show. Kelly made it up about an hour after we did. we went downtown to find some dinner. Aaron is in the super grabby stage so eating in a restaurant was a challenge. After dinner, Kelly took the kids night swimming so he could see the water skills that have acquired over the summer. The kids really liked the lighted waterfall that flowed into the hot tub. I put Aaron in the pool and he decided right away that the water was to cold, so we skedaddled back to the room and watched more Olympics. Saturday Morning we checked out of our hotel and got breakfast at The Eating Establishment. That place has the best fresh squeezed orange juice. We had a couple of hours to kill before our "vacation ownership" presentation so we did some school shopping at the factory stores. Please remember that this was the Saturday before school started. CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY.! I was so flustered by the time we went to the second store that I just bought the kids the first things we thought were cute, even though they weren't on sale, totally defeating the purpose of shopping the outlet stores. No bargains for us. We had to hustle to get back downtown for our "fractional ownership"sales pitch. We didn't buy (one of my secret career dreams to sell time shares so we wanted to hold out until I could get an employee discount. My other career dream is to work at Tai Pan Trading Company).
After all the boring stuff was out of the way, we were finally able to have some fun. We love the Alpine slides! Jason went with Kelly, then he figured out that he was big enough to go by himself. Kayla went with me. She was scared at first but ended up loving it and wanting to go faster. She was mad that Jason got to go twice and she only got to go once, but that is what you get for waffling and boohooing about something you are now sacred to do even though you have been doing since you were two years old.
So that was park city. And this blog is a lot longer than I ever intended. Congratulations and thank you to all those who actually read through it. Maybe next year you can come with us and I will race you down the slide.

3 comments:
Why is it that vacations always have to have their gliches? It looks like you ended up having fun, at least so far, with the slides. Those are so fun.
Ahh! How frustrating!!! I hate it when things like that happen. I bet you wish that you could have stayed up there longer with all of the effort that it took to get there. Oh well, you have to take what you can get I suppose.
Looks like you had lot's of fun on the Alpine Slide. I love that one. Nice and long. Can't wait to hear more about what you did.
See, it didn't turn out all that bad, right? Shopping, sliding, and swimming sounds a lot more fun than sitting at home. Glad it ended up fun.
Post a Comment