Not that I speak in respect of want, for I have learned, whatever state I am, therewith to be content.
I really try to live by this and that is why I am so bugged at myself right now. Here is my story: A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with a friend and she was telling me about her trip to Yellowstone. It was a big family trip with in-laws and extended family. She told me about a sister-in-law that is in debt, doesn't have any extra money, but still went and got a new coat for the trip because hers was out of style. It was from the 90's, with the cinched waist and the plaid inside and it just wasn't going to work anymore. I knew right away that I had the exact coat she was talking about. I got it on my mission at a mall in Prince George, British Colombia in 1995. It is incredibly cold in Northern B.C. and I needed something that could stand up to the weather.
I have always loved my coat. And it never occurred to me that it wasn't cute anymore. It was warm. It has a lining that zips in and out and it has huge pockets. I was perfectly content with my coat until that conversation. Now I have a little nagging voice every time I put it on " What will people think if I wear this, maybe I should get a new coat....!"
So today, I looked down from my kitchen into our family room and saw our entertainment center. And as I looked at it, it morphed before my eyes from something that has always been just fine to something that is old and out of date...This is our entertainment center in our old house
Wouldn't this look so much cooler and more modern?
And just like that, the door of discontentment is open. I can never look at that piece of furniture the same way again. And that is what bugs me, how easy it is to to go from "just fine" to "wanting". How one little comment, made in passing in a story that had nothing to do with me made me doubt my coat, and how a tv show on HGTV caused me to see my furniture with different eyes. I'm also bugged that perception, once changed, is hard to reverse. I want my contentment back.

4 comments:
We all have those days of discontent. I hope you are able to work through it! I think no matter where we are in life, we have those feelings, just focus on the important things, that doesn't mean the new coat is super cute and sassy, it just won't matter so much!
Love Ya!
E
Being content is a wonderful quality to have. It is also a rare quality to have nowadays. I don't think wanting a new coat is not being content. If you want a new coat go out a get it girl! You of all people deserve it. Now, if you already had 5 great coats that looked super cute and sassy and you wanted to get another one, then I would consider you not content. You are one of the most humble people I know and we all have off days every once in a while. I am positive this will not affect you in the longrun.
P.S. - You could probably find a great sale on coats right about now. ;)
P.S.S. - About the TV, we have this nice huge entertainment center with our super old small TV right in the middle. I can't justify buying a new TV when ours still works perfectly fine even though I know it looks pretty silly. There is definately more to life than a big flatscreen TV.
This is why I love you Mara!
You are content and then when you aren't you recognize why. You are so awesome Mara!
I miss you and hope all is going great.
Poor Noah is beginning to be affected by others comments. He told me he wants to wear his Pokemon shirts on Saturdays cuz' it's just not fun to be teased at school anymore for wearing them.
I miss Jason sooooo much!
I totally agree!! I actually have been thinking about this a lot recently. I have very "out dated" couches, and furniture. And sometimes I get in the mode where I just want and want. I have to remind myself that they are just things. It doesn't matter what I have or what it looks like. And just be happy with what I do have, and that I DO have a home and nice things, but that I do not need to go into debt to get the most best thing out there to satisfy my wants. Or to have the best looking house out there. Motto this year for me... Give more...Live simple and expect less. To be content...
Post a Comment