Friday, January 9, 2009

What you don't want to see when you open your garage door

I opened the garage door to send the kids off to school Wednesday morning and I noticed a puddle on the floor. I didn't think much at first because I have kids and puddles are a part of having kids in the winter. Then I saw the drip and I looked up... This picture doesn't even come close to showing the water damage in the ceiling. Water was dropping like rain. There were drops coming off the light fixture and the drywall in the ceiling was bulging. We had a big snowstorm the first part of the week followed by a rapid thaw which created the problem.
I have some of the best in laws in the world and they came right over to help get some of the snow off the roof. I called a general contractor that we know in the neighborhood and it is going to be quite a fix involving removing stucco among other things. Fun Times!

5 comments:

Lara said...

Oh Mara, I am so sorry that you have to deal with that. What a mess! That darn snow!!

Ed said...

YIKES!! NO fun! Hope it gets taken care of quickly and inexpensively! (can that happen? ) I am hoping anyway.

Lauren said...

I am so sorry to hear that. When we bought our house they disclosed that our house has had similar water issues in the garage. The inspector said it had something to do with the way the roof above the garage meets the house. Similar house. Similar problem I guess. Water problems are NEVER fun to deal with. (take it from someone who has suffered through a few.) Best of luck!!!

Lara said...

OK Mara. I am up for your little challenge. Starting today?

Shill and Company said...

Oh no. That really stinks. I seriously am in awe that that could happen. Good luck with the repairs!!!