Sunday, January 18, 2009

treading water

Ever since I had Aaron, I have felt like I have been treading water. I thought it was because with selling the house, having a baby and moving, there was just a lot of change and a lot to juggle, running a house and taking care of a baby. I have been just trying to keep my head (and the heads of those I love) above water. I haven't really felt like my old "get it done" self. It is very hard to explain and put into words. I have been very frustrated because I haven't been able to exercise like I want. And because Aaron is such an inconsistent sleeper, I have a hard time even making plans. I have things I would like to do but can't get to. I have felt like in this past year, I have lost my groove. So last week, I am watching Oprah's best life health segment and Dr Oz mentions that women who are nursing are depleted in Omega-3 fatty acids, because they give all they have to the baby, and this deficiency can lead to mild depression. I didn't feel "depressed" but I have been nursing for almost 14 months, with no end in sight (that baby still has no teeth). I decided to add flax seed (high in omega 3 ) to my yogurt in the morning, and after a few days.....

I felt like there were rays of light shining through clouds that I didn't even know were there. I have had flashes of my old self again, moments when I am actually standing on dry ground.



And now, like Stella, I just might get that groove back.


1 comment:

Lara said...

Wow, that is amazing about the whole flax seed thing. I am so glad it worked for you. I think I should try adding some to MY yogurt. I could use some extra pep in my step during these dreary winter months.