Wednesday, June 9, 2010

the simple truth...


I was watching a t.v. show with my kids- a little Disney Channel thing -and one of the characters was put under a spell where she had to tell the truth. She said some really brutal things and ended up being the most hated person in her school for awhile, until someone else did something awful and everyone moved on.


What struck me about this episode was how negative "the truth" was portrayed. Just because it's true, it doesn't have to be mean. Sometimes the truth is a beautiful thing. Everyone has something good about them, something to admire, something we desire to be more like ourselves. I think it would have been a better show if the character would have said something nice that she would have normally been to embarrassed to say out loud. For example: I have always secretly liked your clothes, I noticed that you helped someone and you thought no one was watching, I have a secret crush on you, I wish I was more like you. I wish I was as smart as you.
The truth can be a beautiful thing so I would like to say, to all of you, that I secretly admire a lot about you and in a lot of ways wish I was more like you.

1 comment:

joy said...

If I were put under a spell to tell the truth, I would be fired within five minutes, whether it's for telling people I think they're idiots or for telling people I think they're attractive.