Friday, May 1, 2009

My Beautiful Life


Give me a house to call my own

Friends and Family to make it a home

The year at spring and day at morn

God is in his heaven, all is right with the world

Robert Browning



My sister is getting married this month and I am so excited for her. She is nervous to be getting married again, her first marriage didn't end in a happy place. But she is bravely embracing life and giving love another chance. When we were talking the other day, she told me about the beautiful life her husband-to-be has built for himself. He has a beautiful home on a few acres in Virginia, good friends, a good financial foundation, and he wants to share this beautiful life with her.
Since this conversation, I have thought about my life and how beautiful it really is. I have a home that I love. I see God out every window- in the sunset and the moonrise, the trees budding, and the snow falling, the clouds drifting and the mountains glowing in the late afternoon light. I have good friends, the best man I have ever met is my husband, my children are the little lights that keep my days interesting and fresh. They are also the bruises that keep my heart tender as I worry over them.
I was in the park a few days ago, talking to someone who is moving to out of state. For a few minutes I was jealous of the adventure she will have, starting out in a new and very different place, meeting new people and being closer to the ocean. But as I walked home, along the tree lined streets, the trees busting with blossoms, the lawns freshly cut and emerald green, I knew. The grass isn't greener on the other side. Different isn't always better. I like my life. I have good friends, I am comfortable, and that is a very good thing.

5 comments:

Sarah Rock said...

How beautiful!

Lauren said...

What a poetic post! That was simple and beautiful. I must admit that I agree. Isn't it a great day when we can celebrate all of the blessings in our lives.

Ed said...

Beautifully said Mara. Thanks!

Lara said...

Well said. I even got a little misty eyed. You are so right. I want to make a goal to feel that way every single day.

Mara, you are beautiful inside and out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Shill and Company said...

We are blessed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. You are such a positive person and so full of love. Thank you for being such an inspiration to me.

Have a wonderful time at the wedding. I am so glad to hear that your sister is so happy. She is such a sweet person.