When I see the flowers, it reminds me of something I did miss out on- one of those life lessons I try to remind myself of as often as I can. When I was pregnant with Kayla, I was doing a little sewing project for her room and I needed some fabric. It was late in the afternoon and I was tired and uncomfortable and hungry. I headed into the fabric store with Jason, thinking that all I wanted was to get this done quickly and get back home. As we walked through the store, Jason said "mom, look at this". Ugg. I was so irritated- you know how kids always want everything they see. I picked him up and dropped him a bit roughly into the shopping cart and headed to the fabric section. As I was looking at the material, my mind finally processed what he had been trying to show me. It wasn't something for him. It was something he thought I would like. It was a cute little decorative flower pot.
I felt horrible. I thought about this incident for days and decided to go back and get the little flower pot as a reminder to slow down and keep my heart open, but it was gone. I felt like I had missed out twice. Now as I look at my Amaryllis I remember. I am not being hard on myself. I am human and a mom 24 hours a day. I am going to have bad days. But I wonder sometimes what else have I missed out on because I was in a hurry, impatient, or uncomfortable. What would I gain if I slowed down a little bit, if I sat on the edge of the kids beds for a few minutes longer at night or stayed on my knees just a little bit longer. It is a reminder also to take care of myself so I can be there fully present for these moments, and not be too tired, hungry and cranky to appreciate the flowers pots in life.

5 comments:
I found your blog through Lauren. Your flowers do look beautiful. It looks like you don't limit your great thoughts to only our Sunday school class. J/K Thanks for the reminder to slow down!
My Mom and I bought two Amaryllis plants at the same time. Her red one grew quickly and beautifully, in time for Christmas. My pink one also took about three months!!
What a great insight. Sometime life really does move too fast. It is hard to remember to take time for the little things. By the way, you write beautifully.
Mara thank you for the insight. I agree with Lauren . . .you have a gift for writing. I feel as though your comments that I read today, were an answer to my prayers. I need to slow down so that I don't miss out on the reason I'm really here. Thank you for being so inspiring.
That is such a wonderful lesson story. I will try to remember your story so I can slow down and not be so impatient too. I guess most moms get that way with their kids. It's like the boy that cried wolf. We think our kids are just so predictable, but then they say something or do something that throws us for a loop. I'll call you soon to go walking. You call me too, anytime okay.
Post a Comment