Friday, February 6, 2009

I am good enough how I am. Thank you very much!

This post is pure rant so just be warned....
I was on the treadmill a couple of mornings ago and I heard a commercial for butt sculpting. That's right BUTT SCULPTING. I believe that would be surgical altering of the derriere. A few commercial later there was an ad for weight loss green tea. I didn't count but I think most of the commercials in that forty minutes were trying to tell me that, how I am, is not good enough. And I am NOT buying it! I am just fine thank you. I know there is a lot of money to be made if you can convince my I am not good enough with out your product, my teeth are not white enough, my skin not smooth enough, my muscles not strong enough, my arm pits not hairless enough.. I could go on and on but it is all so stupid and I am fed up with the negative messages.

It is very frustrating that our natural states are not good enough. How did rock hard abs and a flat stomach become the (ever illusive) ideal. I have had three kids. A flat stomach is not a natural thing. Our ideal standard of beauty is insane. Why can't a natural, normal looking woman be the ideal. Why do we spend so much time removing hair from where it naturally grows? ( The thought of not shaving my legs and pitts is repulsive to me so that is not going to happen- I am a product of my culture after all). Think of all the time spent agonizing over cellulite. Sorry, 99% of women on this planet are born with cellulite so why are we killing ourselves to be freaks?

I believe that we need to take care of ourselves, exercise, eat well, get a good nights sleep, and use sun screen and a good moisturizer. I am also a fan of lip stick, nail polish and mascara, but come on...butt sculpting????? I think about my daughter and the standard of beauty that she will be held too. I want her to know that if she is within a healthy weight range- that is really what matters. I am trying to think of any culture I know of that appreciates an UNALTERED woman and none are coming to mind. At least we don't have to do this:

or this...

It is so crazy! So please join me today in appreciating and accepting our natural unaltered selves.
Give your muffin top a loving squeeze and hope for a day when we don't have to be embarrassed by the reality of the situation..

2 comments:

Jodie Edgington said...

OH! Those pictures are sick! Mara- you are such a cool person, I think I need to talk to you every day- or at least once a month! Thanks for this little rant........being pregnant and watching my face, bust, thighs, belly, rear end, feet, etc. swell has NOT been fun and I've been feeling the worldly pressure! But you're right- "I'm fine, thank you!"

Lara said...

Amen sista!!