Saturday, May 26, 2012

To Blog or not to Blog?

That is the question....

Long before facebook, there was the blog, that wonderful place to put your thoughts and activities for the world to see. The perfect place to stay connected with family and friends, especially Grandparents and family that lives far away. I would post ( which always takes 3 times longer than you think it will. I can't tell you how many times I sat down thinking I will just take 5 minutes and update my blog - for an hour and 25 minutes) and then wait impatiently for comments, checking back repeatedly to see if there was any new feedback. I would be concerned, ( and I still am) that someone creepy would be looking at my blog. I debated going private ( and I still might). The thing that has kept me public for this long is the absolute BORE factor of reading blogs about people you don't know. Try it sometime when you can't sleep. I also thought that some people won't read my blog if they have to go through the extra step of signing in.

The reality is, blogging takes a long time and some of the people I really thought would want to read it, just simply don't. I have had the conversation more than once that goes like this: Them, " I would love to see the kids Easter pictures". Me, "Oh, I put them on my blog, have you read it?" Them, "No, I guess I should...What is the address again?"...

Because Facebook is so easy, and people don't have to check to see if you have posted anything new, it seems to be the default form of generic communication. The bottom line is, I like to write, so I will keep writing this blog- sporadic as it may be.  I have a pretty good idea who reads this, and I love you for it. And to those of you who comment, extra love going your way!  It is nice to know you care enough to check and see what we are up to and what I am thinking about.

6 comments:

♥ Hannah ♥ said...

Yay, a new blog post from you! Keep them coming. I love getting into that pretty little head of yours! xoxo

Shill and Company said...

Hannah didn't say that, it was me. But look how nice, now you have 2 comments already. Seriously though, I do enjoy your blog very much. You have a lot of wisdom to share, and I absolutely love viewing the pictures of your sweet family. Hopefully you don't have any weirdos checking them out too. I couldn't imagine looking at strangers blogs. BORING. That's a great idea though if I need something to put me to sleep.

Ed said...

I feel the same way about blogs. I noticed quite a few of my blog friends have signed off and no longer update. I miss them. But I also don't love Facebook.
I love the deeper connections that can come from blogs. Some of my favorite friendships became as strong as they are because of blogs. Keep writing and I will keep checking in... :)

Ange said...

Mara, I have loved your blog! You always have down-to-earth, genuine, and sometimes even pretty profound insights and thoughts.
I hear you on the 'it takes a long time though'....I've been HORRIBLE at updating our blog the past year and a half....and have not been fabulous at reading blogs the past year either. But every now and then when I hop on to blogland, yours is one I definitely check :)

CJ said...

I know the feeling. I gave up on my blog when it got an average of one hit every three or so posts.

Bridget said...

Hey, I still read your blog and love it! Keep it up - your stuff is so fun to read and it makes me feel connected to my very best childhood friend!